- World Environment Day: 05 June 2020
- International Day of Yoga: 21 June 2020
Theme: Yoga for Health-Yoga at Home
- Veteran Bureaucrat and 1999-batch IAS officer, Brajendra Navnit has been appointed as the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India (PRI) to the World Trade Organisation for a period of three years.
He had been the Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office prior to this appointment and will be posted at the Permanent Mission of India (PMI) to the WTO in Geneva. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet also gave a nod to the appointment of IRTS officer Anwar Hussain Shaik for the post of Counsellor, at the PMI to WTO, Geneva for three years.
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has recently approved an additional $750 million loan to strengthen India’s fight against Covid-19.
This loan would be co-financed the Asian Development Bank (ADB). The funds will be utilised for boosting the businesses in informal sector, providing social security for the deserving and strengthening the health care systems of India.
- Former Supreme Court Judge D K Jain has been reappointed as the Ethics Officer and Ombudsman of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
D K Jain was appointed as the first ever Ombudsman and was later appointed as the Ethics Officer in addition. His term had ended on February 29 this year, but his appointment has been renewed for one more year. Due to the Covid pandemic, the Ombudsman will be conducting hearings virtually.
- India, which has been elected as a non-permanent member of the Security Council recently, will serve as its president for the month of August, 2021.
India, Norway, Ireland, Mexico and Kenya were elected as the non-permanent members of the 15-nation-UNSC for a two-year term beginning January 1, 2021. Tunisia will begin 2021 as the President of the Council in January. It will be followed each of the members in turn for one month, as per the English alphabetical order of the name of member states.
- Former Reserve Bank of India Governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as Chairman of the economic think tank, the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP).
Urjit Patel will be the Chairperson of NIPFP for a four-year term from June 22, 2020. He will replace Vijay Laxman Kelkar, who had been the Chairman of the think-tank since 2014. Urjit Patel served as the Deputy Governor of RBI in 2013 and Governor of RBI from 2016 to 2018.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced that a commission to look at racial equality in the UK will be established.
The proposed body would look at all forms of inequality in employment, health outcomes, academics, criminal justice system and all aspects of life. This announcement has been given after protests have been undertaken after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
- Kushinagar Airport: The airport in Uttar Pradesh for which Union Cabinet has given its approval to be declared an International Airport
- Reliance Industries:
The company which has become the first Indian company to touch $150 billion in market capitalisation in stock market
- Dr. Rattan Lal
The leading soil scientist from Ohio State University, who has been chosen for 2020 World Food Prize for developing and mainstreaming a soil-centric approach to increasing food production that conserves natural resources and mitigates climate change
- PM SVANidhi Scheme
The special micro-credit facility scheme for providing affordable loan upto Rs. 10,000/- to street vendors launched the Central Govt is named
- Virat Kohli
The cricketer who is only one from India to figure in 2020 Forbes’ list of world’s highest-paid athletes, The list is topped Roger Federer, Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.
- IIT Mumbai
IIT Mumbai is top ranked from India in QS World University Rankings 2021. IIT Mumbai is ranked at 172nd Position, IISc Bangalore at 185th & IIT Delhi at 193rd Position. The List is topped Massachusetts Institute of Technology [MIT].
Sushant Singh Rajput
The Actor was found dead at his Mumbai Residence on 14th June. His Debut Film was Kai Po Che.
His Most notable film was M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story (2016).
World Refugee Day: 20 June 2020
Theme: Every Action Counts
- Kritika Pandey
The Indian writer who has been chosen for The Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2020 for Asia region Commonwealth Foundation for her work The Great Indian Tee and Snakes.
- India retains 108th Rank in International Football
According to the FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) world Ranking released on June 11, 2020, India has retained the 108th spot with 1187 points as international football has been suspended since March due to the Covid- 19. Belgium tops the ranking followed France and Brazil. Qatar is the host country of FIFA World Cup 2022.
- Mission Suvidya
Odisha became the first State in India to receive prestigious ISO 9001:2015 certification for its 44 tribal hostels of Keonjhar (32 hostels) and Sambalpur (12 hostels) districts improving their overall infrastructure and standards under Mission Suvidya.
- Nepal’s New Map
Nepal’s lower house of parliament, Pratinidhi Sabha, passes bill to include India’s territories of Kalapani, Limpiyadhura and Lipulekh in Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand in its new map.