The Grand Slam tournaments, also called majors, are the four most important annual tennis events.
The Grand Slam itinerary consists of the
- Australian Open in mid January,
- French Open in May and June,
- Wimbledon in July, and
- US Open in August and September.
- The Australian and United States tournaments are played on hard courts, the French on clay, and Wimbledon on grass.
- Wimbledon is the oldest, founded in 1877, followed the US in 1881, the French in 1891, and the Australian in 1905.
Here are the winners list of 2020 grand slams:-
a) Australian Open 2020 winners
Mens’s Singles: Novak Djokovic was the defending champion and successfully defended his title, defeating Dominic Thiem in the final.
Women’s Singles: Sofia Kenin soared to her first Grand Slam title, rallying from a set down to defeat former World No. 1 Garbiñe Muguruza.
b) French Open 2020 Winners
Rafael Nadal (Spain) wins men’s 2020 French Open title after beating Novak Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5.
Iga Swiatek (Poland) wins women’s single French Open 2020 defeating Sofia Kenin 6-4, 6-1.
c) Wimbledon 2020 winners
Cancelled due to Covid-19.
Wimbledon will distribute £10m of prize money to the 620 players who would have taken part in the 2020 Championships.
d) US Open 2020 Winners
Mens’s Singles: Dominic Thiem won his first Grand Slam, defeating Alexander Zverev in the final.
Women’s Singles: Naomi Osaka defeated Victoria Azarenka in the final.